We’re excited to announce that Alex Rivas will be joining as one of the authors. We look forward to hearing his heart and learning from him.
Alex is a city kid from Chicago who is seeking out God in new places. He became a believer at the age of 16 and is a recent graduate of Moody. He and his wife enjoy quality time watching movies, playing board games, discussing theology, and hosting Bible studies in their home. Alex has a love for the Lord, His word, and His church. Alex’s desire is to serve the Lord for as long as he has breath.
Why the Name “New inX”?
The name “NewinX” comes from the reality that new life, individual and cosmic, comes in and through Christ alone. The “inX” logo stands for the Christian’s identity in Christ Jesus. Second Corinthians 5:17 says that if anyone is in Christ, they are a new creation.
Why an “X”? What does “X” stand for? An “X”…
- looks like the Greek letter, chi, which is the first letter in Christos, the Greek word for Christ (Χριστός).
- has been used as short hand for Christ for a long time.
- reminds us of the cross where Jesus the Christ paid for the sins of all who would turn to Him in repentance and faith. So, an “X” is a good reminder not only of Jesus the Messiah but also His mission. To die on the cross. Jesus came as a little baby at Christmas but He came for the cross.
- also starts at a definite point but stretches out from there. Jesus the Christ, His coming and cross, happened at a definite time but the significance of what He accomplished stretches out into eternity.
- has a center point and it also has four lines jetting out from that center. Jesus Christ is the center, the crux of everything, and significance and salvation jet out from Him. He brings deliverance near and far, individual and cosmic, but it all shoots out from Him at the center. As Colossians says, “In Him all things were created… All things were created through Him and for Him… and in Him all things hold together” (Col. 1:16-17).
- may be people’s way of trying to get Christ out of Christmas but the reality is, reality is about Him. So, that’s ultimately going to be an impossible task.
- “marks the spot” and is on many maps. Jesus the Christ is the true treasure.
So, “X” points to Jesus the Christ. It points to Jesus the center of it all. It points to the cross on which He died and the cosmos that is held together by His hand.
What’s the Purpose of “New inX”?
We want the whole world to intimately experience the transforming truth of Jesus. The purpose of “NewinX” is to provide truth that transforms. We want to pepper people’s lives with relevant Christocentric biblical teaching.
The world has many voices, they scream and chant their truth. We want to herald the truth—true truth—from the hills and the hollers, from wherever we can by whatever means we can. We want to use the means available to reach and teach as many as we can.
The Gutenberg Press was once that means, and it was used to great ends. Now we have various forms of social media. In the day of “Fake News,” we want to share the good news and show how it impacts every area of life.
 It’s also important to realize that “Christmas” is actually already shorthand for “Christ’s mass.” The English word “Mass” comes from the Latin word missa, which means to be “sent.” So, Christmas reminds us that Christ has been sent and the truth is, “Xmas” does too.
 Even the way we date things goes back to Jesus and His coming. A.D. comes from the Latin, Anno Domini, which means, “In the year of ourLord” and refers to the years after the birth of Jesus.